Landmark buildings in the Taiwan capital have been highlighted by the city government as unique venues. Planners seeking to stimulate team creativity can hold theme parties in the National Palace Museum; enjoy music, dance and drama at the National Theater and Concert Hall; hold a gala dinner at the Grand Hotel (above), or a video show amid the historical ambience of the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall.
The 12 unique venues are divided into four categories: time galleries, literary style, monuments and fashion.
- 44 South Village, also known as Xinyi Public Assembly Hall, is comprised of a special exhibition hall, military dependents’ village hall, folk culture hall and a central square. There are two open spaces: the military dependents’ village and the cultural park. The rustic urban feel of the venue presents a good visual contrast to the modern polish of Taipei 101 and the Taipei Financial Centre.
- Bo-Pi Liao Historic Area is distinctive for keeping its original Qing Dynasty street scenery while incorporating some relics from the Japanese occupation period. Ideal for programmes with a nostalgic theme, the area is filled with monuments and shops engaged in traditional industries. The venue can cater to groups of up to 200 people http://taipetravel.net/tw/scen
- The Grand Hotel, the grand dame of Taipei hotels, still draws attention with its classic Chinese architecture. It provides groups with panoramic views of the city from its top floors. Its conference hall can hold 1,000 people.www.grand-hotel.org
- Huashan 1914 Creative Park is a time capsule that features the different building styles to have graced the city skyline over the years. It includes a park area, creative design workshops, creative works demonstration centre and other facilities.
- SPOT-Taipei Film House formerly housed the US Consulate. The white stucco, two-storey building follows the antebellum style of the US South and is a preferred venue for film, arts and other culture-oriented events. The multipurpose art halls can seat 60 people, the Taipei House can hold up to 200, the cinema has space for 88 and the café can cater to a group of 50.
- The Red House is an octagonal venue known for its innovative space allocation. Its interior design is based on the concept of installation art. Its 2nd floor theatre can seat 230 people.www.redhouse.org.tw
- National Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall is a magnificent building with a sapphire-blue glazed-tile roof and white marble walls set in a 25-hectare garden. The National Theater and National Concert Hall stand on either side. It also has a lecture hall and an audio-visual centre among other venues.www.cksmh.gov.tw
- National Dr Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall houses memorabilia of the late revolutionary and political leader. The spacious venue is primarily used for exhibitions and cultural performances. The Assembly Hall can fit more than 2,500 people, while the Lecture Hall can hold 200 people. www.yatsen.gov.tw
- Chungshan Hall inside the Yangmingshan National Park was built to commemorate the centenary birth of Dr Sun Yat-sen. Surrounded by mountains and overlooking picturesque scenery, the interior features Chinese art. www.yatsen.gov.tw/chungsan
- Taipei Zhongshan Hall is a heritage site whose architecture reveals simple classical patterns and details. Suitable for entertainment and culture-oriented events for groups between 500 and 5,000 people. www.csh.taipei.gov.tw
- Taipei EXPO Dome, known for being the site of the Taipei International Flora Expo, has a wide and flexible space that makes it easy for event organisers to decorate it for different themes. It covers a total area of more than 6,000 sqm. EXPO Hall is the place where the opening and closing ceremonies of the Flora Expo are held. It has a unique chrysalis form and can accommodate up to 1,200 guests. Its facilities include a semi-open performance space. Yuanshan Plaza has three sections including a public gallery and flower plaza. Good for big events from team building to product launches. www.taipei-expopark.tw
- Taipei Arena is the city’s first indoor multipurpose stadium featuring a world-class stage. Covering a total area of 88,000 sqm, it boasts a prime location and convenient transports links. www.taipeiarena.com.tw
Contact: Taiwan Convention and Exhibition Association
Tel: +886 2 8789 0220 ext 25