PHUKET Thailand has long enjoyed an association with physical activities and fitness retreats. The Thanyapura Sports & Leisure Club, however, is the first dedicated sport hotel in the country and in Asia. For business meetings and incentive trips, the hotel offers a unique team building experience. Similarly, the hotel gives amateur and professional teams the opportunity for warm weather training and an edge over competitors come race season.
Opened in late 2012 the hotel promises to deliver top tier training to athletes of all levels through academies and coaching. Indeed, the hotel’s popularity among professional athletes has led Thanyapura President Robert Hauck to announce that guests of the hotel should expect to find themselves training alongside the stars of world sport. He said: "We have recently hosted world record holders and Olympic champions from the British, Dutch, Italian and Hungarian national swimming teams, who were here for high performance tune-up sessions.”
Groups and indviduals staying in the 77 room hotel will have access to some of the world’s best coaches and have access to the latest in high tech training equipment. Group sessions are delivered in a diverse range of disciplines including football, swimming, tennis, rugby and triathlon.
Other recent guests include swimming superstar Pieter van den Hoogenband, with fellow Dutch gold medalists Ranomi Kromowidjojo and Femke Heemskerk, Dutch national team coach Jacco Verhaeren and Royal Dutch Swimming Federation Elite Swimming Team Manager Aad van Groningen. The all-star group was at Thanyapura for a high performance training camp in January, taking advantage of Phuket's warm weather and the chance to train outdoors in world class facilities.
Among the Sports Hotel’s facilities are:
- Full-size International Rugby Board-standard artificial rugby pitch with multi-purpose team locker rooms and facilities including strategy room and physiotherapy room
- Floodlit Limonta 'Soccer Pro' FIFA-standard pitch
- 50-metre Olympic-standard swimming pool with electronic timing system, coaches' observation window and a 600-seater shaded grandstand, plus state-of-the-art ozone filtration system
- 25-metre swimming pool with coach/teaching platform
- 500-metre cushioned athletics track with long jump, high jump, triple jump, and a 1500-seat shaded grandstand
- Six Plexicushion tennis courts, four of which are covered with a 600-seat shaded grandstand
- Floodlit basketball court and handball courts
- Beach volleyball plus a beach soccer pitch
- 900sqm Fitness Centre with the very latest Technogym equipment
- Studios for martial arts, yoga, pilates and dance classes
- Spinning Room, Hypoxia Room, Power Plates and Stretching Room
For more information, visit: www.thanyapura.com