PENANG hosted more than 280 officially recorded business events in 2022, driving an estimated economic impact of US$84.9 million, an annual corporate review by the state’s convention bureau shows.
“I am proud to share that the state government, together with [Penang Convention & Exhibition Bureau] , hosted a total of 281 events for 2022, achieving RM375 million in EEI, compared to the domestic EEI of RM14.1 million in 2021,” Penang chief minister Chow Kon Yeow said during a ceremony in Georgetown held to announce the review.
Ashwin Gunasekeran, PCEB chief executive, said: “For the year 2022, there were a total of 57,812 business travellers who stayed a total of 181,066 hotel nights.
PCEB Highlights in 2022 include:
– BElong in Penang Campaign introduced at The Meetings Show in London
– Northern AV Show 2022, the first high-end audio-visual exhibition in northern Malaysia
– MoU Signings with Malaysia Robotics and Automation Society (MyRAS) and the Network of Indian Mice Agents (NIMA)
– Ninth V-Convention Malaysia 2022
– India Preliminary Trip 2022 to meet buyers
– In-person events for Penang International Travel Exchange 2022 and BE @ Penang.
The bureau chief said the results showed how the industry was making a steady recovery from the Covid disruption and gave confidence for a greater business events growth.
Chief minister Chow added: “The Penang State Government will continue to focus on recovery efforts for sectors affected by the pandemic. This is in line with our determination to achieve the Penang2030 Vision, which is ‘A Family-Focused Green and Smart State that Inspires the Nation.’
“Our focus also remains consistent on transforming and developing Seberang Perai as a destination that offers quality life to all its residents, covering economic aspects, human capital, infrastructure, and tourism.”
PCEB has events planned for the coming years and will enhance existing event-support packages for the international market. The bureau also vowed to promote sustainability and social responsibility in events and position Penang as a premier, sustainable, diversified, and smart business events destination.